12 Holiday Wishes for Credit Unions
At this special time of year, we all have fond wishes for one another and resolutions to improve and enhance our health or behavior. Not to be outdone, here are my 12 wishes for credit unions, with each promising to make the season bright!
- A national credit union branding campaign; not marketing but a branding campaign. There is a difference!
- A deeper understanding and appreciation for our credit union roots — the cooperative business model on which it is built, including its principles and values.
- A greater commitment by all credit union folks to collaborate with other cooperative sectors for the good of all, particularly in this, the International Year of Cooperatives.
- New ways to support and fund the NCUSIF, ending a need for special assessments by the regulator.
- True humility among all who hold leadership responsibility throughout our movement. Real leaders are those who serve and inspire others to greatness. We are not bankers and do not operate multinational, publicly traded companies such as Citicorp or Bank of America. Let’s remember who we are, what we’re about and the values we espouse; and keep our egos in check.
- A tenacity to pursue ideas that stretch imagination like forming a healthcare cooperative through which all credit union employees can acquire quality and cost-saving services.
- Less competition and a greater sense of trust, dialogue and collaboration among all credit union folks, particularly with the federal regulator.
- Ears that are more sensitive to listening to our members and to those at our shops who directly serve their needs every day.
- The self-confidence to admit we don’t know and the intelligence to tap the expertise of those who do.
- Courage to make members feel like the owners they truly are, by implementing ways to incite their participation in the governance and services of their cooperative.
- Less personal agenda in our decision making and more effort at finding ways to take into account the global picture so that we can pursue a cooperative path of action in doing what’s in the best interest for all.
More time to spend with family and with those whose love brightens our each and every day.
To one and all, Happy Holidays!
Walt Laskos is a Credit Union Development Educator and principal of The Laskos Group, a brand management, PR and communications consultancy.