Does everyone feel they had their say regarding the NCUA’s proposed rules for corporate credit unions? If you didn’t join your several hundred colleagues in writing in, then you are no longer allowed to complain. The NCUA allowed for open discussion in its town halls and the comment process was open to anyone. This is where the agency has been transparent.

The thrust of the corporate proposal is the capital ratios it would require for corporate credit unions to be adequately capitalized a 4% leverage ratio, a Tier 1 risk-based capital ratio of 4% and total risk-based capital ratio of 8%. This part of the proposal mirrors Basel and that is good and logical. Hopefully, a similar risk-based capital system can be applied to natural person credit unions one day in the near term.

Complete your profile to continue reading and get FREE access to, part of your ALM digital membership.

Your access to unlimited content isn’t changing.
Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Critical information including comprehensive product and service provider listings via the Marketplace Directory, CU Careers, resources from industry leaders, webcasts, and breaking news, analysis and more with our informative Newsletters.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and CU Times events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including and

Already have an account?


Credit Union Times

Join Credit Union Times

Don’t miss crucial strategic and tactical information necessary to run your institution and better serve your members. Join Credit Union Times now!

  • Free unlimited access to Credit Union Times' trusted and independent team of experts for extensive industry news, conference coverage, people features, statistical analysis, and regulation and technology updates.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and Credit Union Times events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including and

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join Credit Union Times

Copyright © 2023 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.