Hurricane Sandy: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia Leagues Check In
The Pennsylvania Credit Union Association, the Ohio Credit Union League and the Virginia Credit Union League have not received any calls for assistance from credit unions in their state, as of Tuesday afternoon.
However, they believe some credit unions are still closed because of power outages.
PCUA Director of Communications Diane Powell said they might not have gotten any reports because many credit unions, particularly in the southeastern portion of the state, have no power and are still closed.
“We know there are 200 roads that are still closed, mostly in the southeast area, so it could also be a matter that people have not been able to access their credit unions to assess for any damages,” said Powell. “And without power there is really nothing we can do for them right now.”
More than 1.2 million homes and business lost power in Pennsylvania, according to media reports. Powell said the PCUA office in Harrisburg is scheduled to reopen Wednesday.
While there have been reports of power outages affecting some credit union branches in the Cleveland area, there have been no calls for assistance at the Ohio Credit Union League, said Patrick Harris, OCUL director of media and public relations.
Lewis Wood, vice president of public relations and communications at VCUL, said there have been no reports of storm damages from Old Dominion credit unions as of Tuesday afternoon.
“Basically the reports we have received have been along the lines of early closure yesterday and branch closings today because the power was out or because the government building was closed where the branch is housed,” Wood said. “All things considered, we seemed to have weathered things pretty well.”
- SANDY NEWS: Oct.30, 2012 CUNA Mutual Awaits Damage Reports
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 Insurers: Big Storm Raises Big Questions
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 Belvoir FCU Steps Up in Virginia
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 CFA Issues Tips for Insurance Claims
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 Navy Federal Shuts Down Base Branches
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 CO-OP Says Shared Branching Working
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 Assessing Impact, Waiving Fees in NJ
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 UWCU Offers Loan Help, Giving Opportunity
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 NCUA Offers Emergency LICU Grants
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 NCUA Canvassing Storm-Hit CUs
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 NCUA Working from Home
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 CUANY, MCU Closed Tuesday
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 SkyOne FCU Offers Lending Help