A nationally representative survey of 1,155 consumers found a lack of consumer interest in banking with Bank of America, Chase, Citibank and Wells Fargo. One-half of consumers have a banking relationship with one of these banks. Raddon Financial Group, a strategic business unit of Open Solutions Inc., found that while 63% of current customers indicated they are either “extremely likely” or “very likely” to remain customers, the remaining 37% are less likely to continue banking with them. Twelve percent said they were “not very likely” or “not at all likely” to remain customers. When noncustomers were asked how likely they were to become a customer of one of these banks, none indicated they were “extremely likely” to do so, and less than 1% said they were “very likely” to become a customer. Eighty-eight percent said they were “not very likely” or “not at all likely” to become a customer. “Consumers are clearly reacting to the financial crisis, which appears to be seriously limiting [these banks'] ability to acquire new customers,” said Bob O’Meara, vice president, director of research for RFG. When asked about the impact the banking industry crisis has had on their future choice of financial institution, 63% of respondents said they would consider a “local bank,” and 43% cited a credit union as their preference. “In order for community banks and credit unions to attract customers from [big banks], they’ll need to be strong in technology, convenience and service,” O’Meara advised.

Unplugged ATM Leads To Arrest of N.Y. Man

Complete your profile to continue reading and get FREE access to CUTimes.com, part of your ALM digital membership.

Your access to unlimited CUTimes.com content isn’t changing.
Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Critical CUTimes.com information including comprehensive product and service provider listings via the Marketplace Directory, CU Careers, resources from industry leaders, webcasts, and breaking news, analysis and more with our informative Newsletters.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and CU Times events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including Law.com and GlobeSt.com.

Already have an account?


© 2023 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.

Peter Westerman


Credit Union Times

Join Credit Union Times

Don’t miss crucial strategic and tactical information necessary to run your institution and better serve your members. Join Credit Union Times now!

  • Free unlimited access to Credit Union Times' trusted and independent team of experts for extensive industry news, conference coverage, people features, statistical analysis, and regulation and technology updates.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and Credit Union Times events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including TreasuryandRisk.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join Credit Union Times

Copyright © 2023 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.