Hurricane Sandy: Snow Falling in West Virginia, No CU Closings Reported Yet
About two to three inches of snow has already fallen in Beckley, W.Va., by midday today but there have been no reported closings of credit unions in that state, which forecasters said could see up to three feet of snow by Wednesday.
“In the southern part of the state, they are getting snow already,” said West Virginia Credit Union League President Kenneth Watts.”Beckley has gotten two to three inches of snow on the ground. But no credit unions there have closed that we are aware of.”
Watts said he is concerned about the Beckley and Elkins areas that are expected to be hit hard by heavy snow.
The National Weather Service in Charleston has issued a blizzard warning for Beckley, Oak Hill, Fayetteville, Montgomery, Summerville, Richwood, Craigsville, Cowen, Marlinton and Elkins, cities that are located in the southern and eastern parts of West Virginia.
The NWS warned that as much as three feet of snow may fall in high elevations (above 3,000 feet) and one to six inches of snow in low elevations (below 2,000 feet).
The blizzard warning posted at 6:25 a.m. this morning is expected to remain in effect through Wednesday afternoon. Periods of snow mixed with rain is expected to increase in intensity during Monday afternoon and evening. However, the brunt of the storm is expected to occur overnight and into Tuesday, according to the NWS.
“We’ve also had contact with our credit unions in the eastern part of the state, which is about 75 miles from the Washington, D.C. area, and is expected to get the brunt of the storm,” Watts said. “They are open today but they are watchful of conditions and are prepared to close and make other arrangements if necessary but nothing yet.”
The League office in Parkersburg is expected to remain open today. Watts said he will be meeting with his staff today to assess conditions throughout the state and reports from 96 credit unions in West Virginia.
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Navy Federal Closes 20 Branches
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Connecticut League, Pa. CUs Closed
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Washington Hunkered Down
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Storm Shuts Stock Exchanges
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Help CU Times Cover the Storm
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 PSCU Offers Call Center Help
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 PCUA, Virginia Closings as Storm Looms
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 26, 2012 NCUA Issues Warning, Pledges Help
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 26, 2012 CUNA Mutual, Leagues Brace for Storm
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 26, 2012 NC, RI, NY Leagues Warily Eye Sandy