Hurricane Sandy: Ongoing Operations CUSO Says Client CUs Ready
All its credit union clients in the path of Hurricane Sandy presently are closed, said Don Stewart, director of professional services for Hagerstown, Md.-based CUSO Ongoing Operations, which was formed to provide credit unions with business continuity planning tools.
He optimistically added: “Clients with business continuity plans will be able to reopen within an hour or two of the storm passing.”
Stewart said that on Friday Ongoing Operations reached out to its credit unions, to remind them to check the status of computer backups and also to review planning pertaining to employee and member health and safety.
“Health and safety really have to be paramount,” said Stewart, which is why his advice has been to close down and wait the storm out. That will let employees and members stay inside and, said Stewart, hopefully at a remove from the ravages of the storm.
Stewart stressed that business continuity planning for credit unions has become highly sophisticated. “We learn from each event,” said Stewart who said much was learned from last year’s Hurricane Irene, for instance.
Stewart said his CUSO’s clients will make case-by-case decisions whether to stay closed on Tuesday or to reopen. Those decisions will be informed by localized conditions and the extent of damages, if any, suffered by particular institutions.
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 National Federation, MCU Shut in New York
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Blizzard Begins in West Virginia
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Navy Federal Closes 20 Branches
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Connecticut League, Pa. CUs Closed
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Washington Hunkered Down
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Storm Shuts Stock Exchanges
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Help CU Times Cover the Storm
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 PSCU Offers Call Center Help
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 PCUA, Virginia Closings as Storm Looms
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 26, 2012 NCUA Issues Warning, Pledges Help
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 26, 2012 CUNA Mutual, Leagues Brace for Storm
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 26, 2012 NC, RI, NY Leagues Warily Eye Sandy