CUES Names Volunteer of the Year
A 36-yerar veteran of the Canadian credit union industry has been named the 2012 CUES Director of the Year, the organization said.
Martin Gillis, board chairman of Windsor Family Credit Union in Ontario, will be honored at an awards celebration at CUES’ Directors Conference set for Dec. 9-12 in Palm Desert, Calif.
CUES said Gillis helped lead WFCU from $40 million in 1986 to more than $900 million this year.
- ALSO READ Bert Hash Named CUES’ Top CEO of 2012
Gillis also is a longtime proponent for board governance, and was instrumental in ensuring a board education plan and evaluation process was implemented at WFCU, CUES said.
He also helped restructure the size of the WFCU board and change its nomination process, said CUES in Madison, Wis.
The organization said five credit union directors will also be inducted into the CUES Volunteer Hall of Fame during the awards ceremony:
- Leroy Harvey, board vice chairman, $394 million Generations FCU, San Antonio.
- Gigi Porcelli, board vice chairperson, $25 million Bethex FCU, Bronx, N.Y.
- Linda Slupe, former credit and supervisory committees member, $157 million Icon CU, Boise, Idaho
- Charles Smith, board chairman, $263 million First New York FCU, Albany, N.Y.
- John Weidert, board chairman, $5.5 billion First Technology FCU, Palo Alto, Calif.