Advantis Credit Union has harnessed the power of social media to help determine which charitable projects would receive a grant from the Advantis GROW Community Fund.
In just three weeks, more than 66,000 public votes were cast via the 46,800-member Milwaukie, Ore., credit union’s Facebook page and website to help allocate grants from the $50,000 Advantis GROW Community Fund.
Public voting helped the $905 million credit union select the following organizations as grant recipients:
· Clackamas Women’s Services – $10,000 to furnish a new shelter annex to house 100 additional women and children escaping abuse;
· Potluck in the Park – $9,597 to purchase equipment needed to serve hot meals to those in need on Sundays – when other area food stations are closed;
· Friends of the Children – Portland -$8,500 to purchase computers to deliver educational services to over 80 at-risk children;
· Portland Rescue Mission – $8,500 to update shower facilities for more than 2,400 homeless individuals at the Burnside shelter;
· Big Brothers Big Sisters Columbia NW – $6,000 to purchase new computers to better serve at-risk youth with stronger mentorships;
· Community Energy Project –$3,995 to purchase home energy diagnostic tools to determine solutions for low-income and disabled homeowners;
· The Pongo Fund Pet Food Bank –$3,460 to purchase equipment for pet food distribution to thousands of low income pet owners.
According to Wendy Edwards, Advantis vice president of marketing/human resources, the public vote helped the credit union understand the priorities of the broader community and ultimately fund those projects that locals value most.