Philanthropy Day Celebration Ideas for CUs
Happy National Philanthropy Day!
Friday, Nov. 15, is a day set aside to recognize and pay tribute to the great contributions that philanthropy – and those people and organizations active in the philanthropic community – are making to improve our lives, our communities and our world.
Naturally, this is a big day for us at the National Credit Union Foundation. In our role as the national philanthropic arm of the credit union movement, we believe that all consumers should have the education, tools and resources needed to achieve financial freedom through credit unions.
Credit unions can use National Philanthropy Day® to celebrate the spirit of giving and service. One great idea is to have staff put on some logo wear and perform random acts of “financial freedom“ kindness in their community.
Here are some ideas to get credit unions started:
- Hand out money ($5-$10) to members to donate to local charities or help someone else;
- Take an hour, go to a local coffee shop, and pay for peoples’ coffee;
- Organize a credit union “cash mob” to support a local business (http://cash-mobs.com/);
- Donate enough food or money to your local food bank to feed 20 hungry families in your community; and/or
- Distribute personal finance books for free in the public area of the credit union’s lobby.
This is just a small sampling of ways credit unions can pay it forward this Friday. Without a doubt, the people impacted will never forget the experience. Do good. Feel good. Cause a ripple effect of kind acts and good deeds in your community.
National Credit Union Foundation
PS - For more ideas visit the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation at randomactsofkindness.org. Of course, contributions to NCUF will always be gratefully received!