The markets roiled several times this year scaring investors to pull out and wait on the sidelines.
It was likely one more obstacle that has prevented credit unions from growing their retail investment programs. Some say the top challenge has been a lack of awareness as most members might not associate getting their financial planning needs met at their local cooperative.
Social media platforms could continue to shape how credit unions can potentially educate members on services such as helping to save for retirement and college and establishing trusts and living wills.
As companies start to revive their 401(k) matching programs, credit unions could see an increase in members wanting to get back on board with their long-term plans.
In 2012, several credit unions overhauled their investment suites by switching to new firms and broker-dealers and by revamping traditional financial planning programs. Experts say that shift may continue in 2013 even as some members choose to participate in self-guided offerings.
Over the past two years, the SEC has cracked down on scams targeted at investors. Since 2011, the agency said it has charged said 887 individuals and entities in 359 actions involving retail investor fraud. Nearly $9.7 billion has been alleged lost by more than 1.2 million investors in those cases.
The SEC, along with the FBI and other agencies, has vowed to continue an aggressive stance toward scams such as Ponzi schemes.
More 2013 Watch
- Dec. 28, 2012 Marketing in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 27, 2012 Gen Y in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 26, 2012 Member Business Lending in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 26, 2012 Human Resources in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 21, 2012 Credit Union Taxation in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 20, 2012 CUSOs in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 20, 2012 NCUA Board in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 19, 2012 Cards in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 19, 2012 Mortgage Lending in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 18, 2012 Low Income Service in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 18, 2012 Bank Conversions in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 17, 2012 Student Lending in the Year Ahead
- Dec. 17, 2012 Auto Lending in the Year Ahead