CUNA Lending Council Honors Top Credit Union Loan Programs
Of the 84 credit unions that applied for this year’s CUNA Lending Council lender awards, six of them stood out for their resolve and creativity in a challenging economy.
The six received CUNA Mutual Group’s Excellence in Lending honors at the council’s annual conference Monday in Miami.
The winners and their respective lending categories were:
- $3.7 billion United Nations Federal Credit Union, Long Island City, N.Y.: Consumer Lending, Assets More Than $250 million
- $102 million Cooperative Center Federal Credit Union, Berkeley, Calif.: Consumer Lending, Assets Less Than $250 million
- $364 million Sunmark Federal Credit Union, Albany, N.Y.: Mortgage Lending, Assets More Than $250 million
- $80 million Northeast Community Credit Union, Elizabethton, Tenn., Mortgage Lending, Assets Less than $250 million
- $1.2 billion Gesa Credit Union, Richland, Wash.: Business Lending;
- $725 million U.S. New Mexico Federal Credit Union, Albuquerque, N.M.: Low-to-Modest Means
“We had a record number of applications this year,” said Dan Murray, vice president of lending at CUNA Mutual. “But it wasn’t just quantity, there were many quality, deserving applicants. In a challenging economy, it speaks to the resolve and creativity of our nominees.”
Eighty-four credit unions were considered for this year’s awards, the most in the award program’s 13-year history, according to CUNA Mutual.
Established in 2000 by CUNA Mutual with support and expertise from the CUNA Lending Council, the awards recognize credit unions that have implemented outstanding lending programs while demonstrating sound financial performance.