Hurricane Sandy: No Federal Day Off For Those Connected at Home
The NCUA may be officially closed along with other federal offices Tuesday, but many employees are working remotely and also did Monday, Public Affairs Specialist John Fairbanks said.
The agency Monday activated its National Continuity of Operations plan, and Fairbanks said the NCUA stands by ready to assist credit unions affected by Hurricane Sandy.
The NCUA’s Office of Small Credit Union Initiatives alerted low-income designated credit unions in the storm’s path they are eligible for Urgent Needs grants to help pay to get back up and running to serve members, Fairbanks said.
Also Monday, Chairman Debbie Matz participated in a telephone meeting of the Financial Stability Oversight Council convened by Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner.
Fairbanks said FSOC members discussed financial markets and infrastructure as Hurricane Sandy approached the East coast.
The NCUA released news Monday afternoon that it had officially closed U.S. Central, sending the release as hurricane force winds blew through the Washington area.
CUNA and NAFCU employees also worked remotely Monday and continue to do so Tuesday. Washington’s Metro public transportation system will resume regular service Wednesday, which will likely mean the return of federal workers.
Power outages weren’t as bad as forecasted in the area: Dominion Virginia power reports the biggest hit, with more than 100,000 customers out of a total 2.5 million without power in Northern Virginia. In the Maryland suburbs, 27,500 were without power Tuesday morning, and some 3,000 are without lights in the District.
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 CUANY, MCU Closed Tuesday
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 30, 2012 SkyOne FCU Offers Lending Help
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Data Recovery Alone Not Enough
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 PCU, MCU to Stay Closed Tuesday
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Maine Hunkers Down, Two NJ CUs Shut Down
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 New Englanders Shut Down, Ohio on Guard
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Sandy Could Be Among Costliest to Insurers
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 New Jersey CUs Battened Down
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Ongoing Operations Says Client CUs Ready
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 National Federation, MCU Shut in New York
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Blizzard Begins in West Virginia
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Navy Federal Closes 20 Branches
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Connecticut League, Pa. CUs Closed
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Washington Hunkered Down
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Storm Shuts Stock Exchanges
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 Help CU Times Cover the Storm
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 PSCU Offers Call Center Help
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 29, 2012 PCUA, Virginia Closings as Storm Looms
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 26, 2012 NCUA Issues Warning, Pledges Help
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 26, 2012 CUNA Mutual, Leagues Brace for Storm
- SANDY NEWS Oct. 26, 2012 NC, RI, NY Leagues Warily Eye Sandy